Friday, August 13, 2010

Monsters, Monsters, Everywhere!!

I've been meaning to write this post for a while, but it's been a busy few weeks.  The third day we were at Jack's house, the girls started hitting me up again for a hamster.  We've had this conversation before.   At the time, the animal tally looked something like this:  2 large dogs, one finicky cat, (all outside only animals, btw), 1 super-smart cockatiel that whistles the Star Wars theme, Pirate's yo-ho song, wakes you up with an "Ahoy, Matey!", among many other things (can you guess who's bird this is?!), 2 beta fish, some tadpoles we caught at the river down the street, two recently acquired bullfrogs in a Star Wars habitat (one already a frog, the other still changing), and a partridge in a pear tree....just kidding (about the partridge part).  So you can see why this conversation kept coming up, because the answer kept being- no way, jose!  But they are persistent!  So I told them to wait until Isabel's birthday before we talked about it again- it would buy me a month's reprieve.  Just the fact that I didn't say "no" made them giddy. 

Flash forward to later that same afternoon, we needed to go Petco to get the bullfrog some worms.  We walk in, and I'm not even kidding, there is a table set up with a sign: FREE HAMSTERS.  I felt like I was set up!  The girls saw it and I swear I heard a chorus of angels sing "AAAAHHHH!" over their heads.  I asked the girl working there if they always give away free hamsters, and she said, "We NEVER do this!"  Figures.  The girls spent their hard earned, long-saved money on a cage, bedding, food, and a cute little hamster ball, and walked out with not one, but TWO dwarf hamsters.  I asked them to tell us if they were boys, girls, or one of each. The girl took them both in the back room, came back with gloves on and said, "Well, I know WHERE to look, but I don't really know what I'm looking for."  Wonderful.

Ava was thrilled.  "I wana hold the monstoows!"  Huh?  "The monstoows aw sooo tute!"  Monsters!  It was so "tute" that we couldn't correct her, and really, she's not that far off!  They are adorable little furballs, I have to admit.  The white one Sophia named Moonbeam, and Isabel named hers Creampuff.



So,  the last week or so, Isabel was kind of sad.  "Mama, Creampuff is turning into a meaner.  He keeps biting me when I try to take him out of the cage."  Hmmm.  Wednesday we found out why, when our little guy gave birth to SEVEN little monsters!  Oh, my!


They look like little piggies in there!  Kinda creepy, kinda cute.  They squeak for their mama, and she tends to them.  They all sleep a lot.  I think our tally just went up.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. They TOTALLY set you up! Did I ever tell you my class last year had a hamster? He got out not once, not twice, but THREE times! Once, he got loose in our building and was out for 2 weeks, before I thought up the brilliant idea of using a humane trap and catching the thing. He got to live in an aquarium after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny that you mentioned that...I'm trying to farm the little guys out to all the teachers I know! HAHA! Hope they don't get stuck with any escape artists :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa!! That's a lot of pets! But how fun...they are leaning towards creepy for me still. When they have some fur, i can switch to cute. Haha.

    ReplyDelete