Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas is a Comin'!

Four more days!  And we have effectively put everything off until this week!  Well, most everything.  Shopping (on my end...some people, ahem, are last minute shoppers...) is done, but baking, wrapping presents, and a small attempt at sending out Christmas cards are still on the list.  So the house is a flurry of joyful activity (and some serious sugar induced meltdowns in the smaller age bracket).  And with the amount of rain we've had, inside activity is a good thing!

Sophia made the dough...with a little help(er).

Everyone helped cut out...Isabel is whistling to the Christmas music in the background!

What's this? Dough on my hands! Hmmm...

Let me just get that off...

Read through 2 Hardy Boys books in between cooking!
Christmas cards from hand-crafted paper- this was a 2am project!

The decorations have been up since right after Thanksgiving, and we have had some cool additions to our usual stock.  There is a vintage/collectables shop here on Main St. that I have been wanting to go into ever since we moved here.  The shop doesn't have usual hours, and is never open when I go by. So a few weeks ago, I was on my way to the store,  when I glanced over (out of habit) to see if it was open, and WA-LAAH- door was open!  So I did a quick u-turn (legal-like, of course...!) and went in.  The lady who owns it was very nice, but only in to pick up a few things.  She let me look around and we had a great conversation.  I was looking through a box, and she said- "Oh, I'm taking that stuff to Goodwill, so anything you want in there is free."  AND...guess what I found????!

Oh, Yeah!



My very first aluminum Christmas tree!  Isn't it cute?!  AND, two matching tea towels- the tree skirt is one of them.  So I ran to CVS and found the teeny red and green ornaments for under $3 (on sale!).  But that's not all.  At church that weekend, our Pastor had gotten a bunch of old ornaments that the City was going to throw away (he works for the city), and was giving them away.  I let everyone pick through, then made my way back, and look what was waiting for me- the rest of the ornaments on the tree! Plus the tree topper Santa, and many other vintage ornaments that are now hanging from the garland with the rest of our collection.  I can't believe they would have thrown these out!  What a cool blessing!  Here are some of the others...

These were from  Mom...

Some of these were from church!




This Santa was a dumpster dive find :)  He has a funny story...ask me sometime!
I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas full of love, joy, peace, and all the other wonderful things that Jesus came to give us- I'm so thankful for His gift of love!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Look at your kids being all adorable and well behaved. No photos of the sugar meltdowns? LOL! I fondly remember the days of pre-Christmas over excitement. We had 5 siblings in our family too! A lot of camaraderie and the occasional melt down and smack-down. Christmas with a large family is so fun. I'm about to visit my sister who you guessed it has 5 kids. I'll be there shortly after Christmas but I betcha some of the magic of Christmas will still be lingering in the air. I hope you and your fam have the best Christmas & Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cess.... You are seriously one of the coolest people ever!!

    ReplyDelete