Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake...and another Treat!

A few months back, when I received a fabulous stash of romance mags from 1940,  I spied an article that I knew I had to revisit.  It was a "Spring Bride" article, looking a little something like this:

SWEEEEET!

I have to say,  I have a certain weakness for Strawberry Shortcake.  Especially when it is made with farm stand strawberries and fresh cream- there is nothing like it.  I grew up with the Bisquick version of the shortcakes, and have always had a fondness for them, because of the wonderful memories of having my mom make them.  But since we have been making our own pancake mix,  I decided it's time to find a killer "from scratch" recipe.  If only I could get my hands on the Boccoli's Strawberry Shortcake recipe (in Ojai- a MUST if you are in the area in the spring!).... It is an old family recipe, and all my searches turned up with nothing but amazing (and deserved!) reviews for it.  Which brought me back to this recipe.  And since it is almost Mother's Day, I thought it would be the perfect time to share the results!

I did tweak the original recipe a bit, tripling the amount and substituting half the shortening with butter...and adding vanilla :)



Mix dry ingredients together


Cut shortening/butter in with pastry blender
Knead lightly about 10 times

It comes together to make a lovely dough
Into the oven...
Getting the strawberries ready!


Here is their version:


And here is ours:


They used an obscene amount of shortcake for just two people (but then again, that is the day of getting doctor's reports to tell you smoking camels hasn't affected your throat at all!!!).   If you don't double the recipe, you could get four good servings out of it.  We tripled ours, and made 8 big squares- again, could have been 10, depending on how big you like it.  It came out delicious!  I think this weekend next time I make this,  I may tweak the ratio of butter to shortening, opting for a bit more butter and a tad less shortening.  It definitely is a wonderful recipe, and a keeper for sure!  Which brings me to the last sweet treat...

To celebrate Mother's Day and the wonderful blessing of family,  I am doing my first little giveaway!  The winner will receive one of the amazing magazines from my stash.  To enter,  please leave a comment telling me what your favorite family recipe is and why.  Make sure you include your email so I can contact you if you are the lucky winner.  That's it!  I love family recipes and the stories and memories that go with them.  I'm so thankful for each person that has stopped by to read and comment.  (I'm also thankful for all you phantom blog-stalkers who read and never comment...you know who you are! xoxo )

I will leave the giveaway open until Sunday night, and will randomly pick from the comments (and post results!) Monday.  I can't wait to hear about all your favorite memories!  xoxo

13 comments:

  1. My first time reading your blog -- hopped over from Pyrex Collective. I was attracted by your blog name, because my name is Deborah, which means "bee", so whenever I need a profile picture or nickname, I pick something that has to do with bees. I went back and read your first post and it brought back memories of when we had just had our seventh child, were homeschooling, and had to move into a 700 sq. ft. house until our new home was built! It was a great learning experience. Now our 8 kids range from 17 - 35 years old, and we have fond memories of that time. It taught me what our time on earth is like: just a waiting period for something much better, so why would we look around and complain, when we'll soon be moving on to something beyond our dreams! Please put me on the list for your giveaway! Whoops! I guess I have to tell you about a recipe. My eldest daughter just got back from some world travelling, and one of the first things she asked was, "Did you save me some baba from Easter?" And the answer was yes, there was baba in the freezer; it's Ukrainian Easter bread and it's Grandma's recipe, which we can now make almost as good as hers, but we still miss the love she put in to it. Thanks for the encouragement in your blog. debkuzmum@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah- thank you so much for your comment! I loved hearing the stories, and what you learned from your "small space" time. I love those recipes we look forward to, and the ones that get passed on...just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny, we just bought half a flat from the stand down the street and Shortcake is in the works as I type. :) I really like oven-warmed pound cake as my base. Guess that doesn't make it Strawberry Shortcake though, does it? I haven't found a shortcake recipe that sings to me yet, I'll have to try the Spring Bride's soon. Much love to you and the clan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And of course, it must be mixed in vintage Pyrex bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely try the recipe, it's worth it! And I do think it tastes better if you use the vintage Pyrex! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. For some reason, I haven't had a lot of strawberry shortcake in my life...will have to remedy that :) I've been married for 3 years and I'm still trying out new recipes, but my favourite so far is Butter Pecan cookie from Simply Recipes. The cookies come out perfect every time and they're delicious. My hubby loves them, says they 'melt' in his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh la la! That looks SO GOOD! I'd love a chance at one of those magazines :-) My favorite family recipe is a good ole country one: Biscuits and Gravy, made from scratch. Everyone of us 5 siblings can make it, but none as good as my mom! Every time I visit, I request it. It is so good and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! That looks good enough for a magazine! I want to play- i love vintage magazines! I think my favorite family recipes have to be the Christmas goodies that my mom and I used to make for all the neighbors: Ginger crinkles, peppermint patties, church window candy, and especially Swedish butter cookies - shortbread filled with strawberry jam. Yum! Now I'm trying to adapt them to be gluten free for Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, this isn't easy. For the sweet stuff I have to either pick snowballs or mom's lemon cake. I could eat mass quantities of either at any given moment. On the savory side I think I'll go with Grandmas mole--when it's extra spicy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol... "obscene amounts" -- that sounds like something i would say. i love that you shared this, and love it even more that you got the recipe from an old magazine. i have a book full of old recipes and it's true, lard and such was used copiously! though, i think in general, people were also a whole lot more active then. the food had to stick with you through the day :)

    your little helper is adorable. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ana, thanks for hosting Archive Dive! It's fun to look back and revisit old posts, and to read other people's take on your topic. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello from Ana's Archive Dive

    Thank you for sharing this "vintage" recipe...an oldie but a goodie from the looks and sounds of it! YUM!

    I am officially hungry now :)
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by, Patty! It is a great recipe- worth the effort for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete