Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sunshine in a Bowl



With all this gloomy weather, we will take sunshine where we can find it.  We had been studying the Roaring 20's a bit back, and our U.S. History Cookbook had just the recipe: Supremely Citrus Sundae.  Anything Citrus catches my attention, but this one made me pause slightly, because it was made with Jell-O.  I have to admit, I am not a huge Jell-O fan.  I don't even remember the last time I ate (or MADE) a bowl full of Jell-O.  The only time I ever buy it is to make my mom's amazing Lemon cake, and you would never know there was Jell-O of any sort in there.  For some strange reason, the recipe sounded fun, so off to the kitchen we went.

Our book says that in the 1920's, sales of Jell-O went up as more and more homes had refrigerators. It has actually been around since the 1800's, but you can imagine that without refrigeration, it probably wasn't as appealing.

This recipe says it makes four servings, but at a whopping 19 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup of Jell-O, I actually made 7 dessert cups with this recipe, plus had extra to spare.   I think next time I would also put whipped cream in between layers, and not just on top...but that's just me.

3 oz boxes of Lemon, Lime and Orange Jell-O
Layer in dishes after it sets, top with whipped cream, lime zest and slice of lime
See happy faces!

2 comments:

  1. Jiggly Jello! We loved it as kids! I don't believe I have had it as an adult in years & years I am surprised to learn that it was around in the 1800's..wow! That is a snack with some serious history :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute face! lol

    and you!! sneaking in pyrex like that!! :P

    ReplyDelete