Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fun with Decoupage

A while back I got this wooden mail holder from Legacy Studio on Etsy. 



It was very sturdy and well-made, but wasn't jiving as well as I thought it would with the rest of our space.  So I decided to tweak it a bit...with the help of some old magazines, Mod Podge, and my trusty printer.  I looked through a few of the mags until I found an image that I liked, and that would work with the color scheme.  I copied it onto regular printer paper, and was stoked when it came out looking exactly like the original ad- yellowing and all!  I cut it out into two sections, and put a layer of MP onto the wood where I wanted the first section.  I layed the ad on top, and went over it with my brush full of MP one time, trying to get minimum bubbles. It turned out like this:

I love this little guy!
The bottom part of the ad...




It was almost what I wanted,  except that I only had glossy MP, and the wood was matte...so you could see where the glue dried.  I gave it one finally coat of MP on the rest of the wood, and it was good to go!


A fun, quick and easy project that is functional and now vintage style-y!  Plus, I love that it came with a jar to put flowers in...the girls are always bringing me flowers from outside (LOVE!!!), so now they have a home.  What projects have you done lately?
xo

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! I'm currently working on turning this rancid zebra print piggy bank into a cute place for loose change. I'm actually waiting for the paint to dry right now.

    XOXO, Deanna

    {sweet happenstance}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deanna! Hope your project turns out cute- would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I have like a gazillion home decor ideas pinned right now and I'm hoping to just complete maybe 2 of them this summer. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! As tempting as it is, I stay away from Pinterest- simply because it would be a major time sucker for me! Lots of cuuuuute ideas out there, though, I'm sure! Hope you get to do a few! Enjoy time with your hubby though- cute house stuff will wait! So happy for you that he's home!

      Delete