Thursday, June 14, 2012

Bee Treeats: A Happy Birthday Pie!

This last weekend we celebrated Mr. Bee's wonderfulness (and his birthday- we love you!) with a yummy Strawberry Rhubarb Slab Pie.  A very generous lady offered up some fresh-from-her-garden rhubarb on Freecycle (like- "call me before you come and I'll cut you some" fresh!).  When I got there, she had a lovely, jam-packed garden, and loaded me up. Not only did she give me fresh cut rhubarb, but also plants: a rhubarb plant to put in my garden, a potato plant, yellow squash, 3 tomatoes, mint, and 2 chive plants! What an unexpected gift!

We decided to use the rhubarb to make his pie (we both love pie instead of birthday cake for our June birthdays!).  I've never baked with rhubarb, but this recipe was easy and really yummy.  It's from Martha Stewart, and you can find it here.  All the girls love to be in the kitchen, and since Sophia is now skilled and confident enough to be on her own, I'm focusing on the younger ones.  Olivia wanted to help with this, and she did a great job.  Here's what it looked like after Olivia and I cut the strawberries and rhubarb and coated them with sugar and tapioca:



Those colors are just gorgeous!  I love how baking is multi-sensory...everything works together to make it a wonderful experience. This variety of rhubarb doesn't turn red, so it really looks like celery.

Brush on egg yolk and cream...

Add (a lot, if you're me!) turbinado sugar...

Ready for the oven

Mmmmm...
PIE!!!

Make a wish!

Hmmm...

I wish we had more pie!
Topped with homemade whipped cream, this pie was amazing.  I can't wait until next year, when we can use rhubarb from our own garden! If you have any great rhubarb recipes, feel free to leave a link below!
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious! Isn't baking just a blast!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking makes me soooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT is a pie! It looks delicious. I had strawberry rhubarb pie for the first time a couple years ago and loved it. Did you know that was dad's favorite too? Oxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that! Why didn't I know that?! That's cool. :) I love that this makes a lot in one go...although I will take pie any way I can get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look of the rhubarb pie. Rhubarb is one of my favourite things! I have been thinking about getting some rhubarb to plant in my garden - I might ask for a cutting from a friend this weekend! You've inspired me!

    Oh, and my favourite rhubarb recipe is this one: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7676/rhubarb+and+coconut+slice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get a cutting if you can! Just remember that the leaves are poisonous (if you have a small child or pet). Thanks so much for the link- your recipe looks really good! Hopefully I will have fresh rhubarb to try it out next spring!

      Delete