Monday, November 26, 2012

From The Hive: The Girls' Room

Today I want to share a sneak peak into the girls' room with you.  This has been a long process, and is really still in the works.  We have the blessing (and challenge) of fitting many little bees into two rooms, and it takes creativity (and sometimes a good hair pulling) to figure it out! 

When our littlest bee was born, the girls' room underwent a very slow and gradual change.  We knew it would be a woodland theme, so pieces were slowly gathered from many sources as we found them.  It took a while, but I am so happy with how it has turned out.  There are still a few projects left, like painting the light switch plate (when I remember what I did with it), and painting/crafting a few other pieces.




















The woodland quilt was a gift from Grandma, the name banner was made from our sweet friends for a shower they gave us after Noelle was born, and the mobile above the crib was a fun project I did, with help from my mom and sister.  The Love and Nature wall decals were something I had on my baby shower wish list, but they were sold out.  My mom went to a garage sale a few months later, spied a tube laying on a table, and realized she had them, brand new- for $1 (normally just under $30)!  She also found the wood owl plaque at a garage sale. The Butterfly pillow (that just happens to match the butterflies on the woodland quilt) and the Love and Nature bedspread (thanks, LR!) were thrifted. The framed Unicorn/Pegasus picture was a present from my friend's mom when I was in 5th grade.  She painted it for me. It reminds me of going to their house and seeing easels with canvases, and listening to the Grease soundtrack on vinyl.  Moving on.  The mushroom gnome house was a Christmas present a few years back (if Santa doesn't bring you one, you might find it here ).  The little birdie was an adorable outfit that our little bee outgrew way too fast.  I took the buttons off, cut out the bird, and stuck it in a vintage metal embroidery hoop.  I resewed buttons, embroidered the "sweet" on the bottom, and used one of her little headbands to finish it off.  I may have a few more outfits I'm hanging on to for future projects... :)  The bird canisters and tree basket came from the same shower as the name banner, the orange cubby  and Love and Nature night light were both thrifted, and the sweet little girl night light was mine when I was little.  Fairy book compliments of Grandma many Christmases ago. Old children's books were given by a friend, and the vintage Disney pull train was a garage sale find.  Whew!

What I love most about the room, besides how sweet it came out, was that it was a collaboration of many people who love them.  It is always fun to have a theme to run with, but I also love how the girls are letting their personalities show through in the little things they add to their space.  Small spaces can be tricky, but they can also be an opportunity to use some creativity. I have found that clearing clutter is a must for my sanity.  Having a space for everything is helpful.  Going through and getting rid of toys that are broken/aren't being played with, as well as clothes that don't fit or are too stained/ripped is important as well. Highlighting their collections in groupings that are displayed (instead of tossed in a drawer) helps them own their space, and helps them want to keep it looking nice. Do you have any small spaces?  How do you make it work?
xoxo





9 comments:

  1. Hi BT,
    I pray you and your family had a Merry Christmas... that was blessed with the love of Christ! Thank you so much for sharing words of encouragement over me at BH this past year. It means more than you will ever know.
    xoxo
    PS. your girls room is precious! Love all the meaningful ways you incorporated things from the family. Grandma's love their Grand-babies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bee. Where have you been? I havent heard from u in a couple months. Hoping u are doing OK. Kimi (californiapixie.com)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for checking up on me! I'm ok- having techy problems, so I'm rethinking a few things...will definitely bee back! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day BT!! Miss you :)
    Have a blessed day!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing! Loving the decor. Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, M&K! :) And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when rooms are so personalized! This is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by, Chelsea! :)

    ReplyDelete